Sunday, September 27, 2009

fin de semana en Madrid (weekends in Madrid)

So I was in Spain last weekend, but I feel like this weekend was my first REAL weekend here. Last weekend I felt I was so hung up on the bad differences (such as no stores being open), but this weekend I took note of some of the good differences. For example, yesterday I went to the park and it was full of families. Not just 2 parents and a kid, but even grandparents, aunts, uncles, truly the entire family just spending time together. It made me think about how people in the states use their weekends compared to here. Maybe it is just me, but I always feel like we are doing stuff and running around on weekends, but here it is truly a day off. I think the cutest thing was that I saw a grandpa (probably in his 60’s) playing soccer with his grandson. You could tell it was definitely a natural occurrence here, just hanging out in the parks with family. I definitely have a greater understanding of the emphasis on family in Spanish culture now.

Today (Sunday) we went to Rastro flea market which is really just a huge street market where you can buy ANYTHING for real cheap. I was actually surprised of the amount of Spaniards that go because it is labeled as a tourist attraction. There was all the typical stuff there, but then there was truly just junk. We saw one guy selling light posts….really?? I didn’t buy anything but there was a poster that I wanted but I didn’t get. It was a painting of the statue of liberty with Barack Obama’s face. I loved it of course!!

In other news, I have been noticing that whenever I got out to a club or go shopping at a clothing store, they are always playing American music; however, so few people know English so they have no clue what the song is even about. Friday night I was in the bathroom in a club and there was some Spanish girls singing a Beyonce song and when I asked if they spoke English they didn’t understand a word I said. I just find it funny J

Random note: there is a bingo-rama right down the street from us and the old ladies line up to go inside in their “Sunday’s best”. Therefore, I think its safe to say that Bingo is an international old-lady pastime……..

Quote of the Day: “you never date a guy that has been to prison, not even federal” (Jasmine)

No comments:

Post a Comment