Wednesday, September 9, 2009

random thoughts...

So I started this blog to chronicle my life in Spain and the culture/language shock that is going to happen in approximately 7 days, but I have to take a break from that for now and rant. I read the NYTimes everyday and in their attempt to be "fair and balanced" they cover issues that really make my blood boil. First, the Presidents address yesterday to the school, was it really worth all the fuss? Further more, why are people so offended by him encouraging students to do well? We allow the armed forces into our schools to recruit for needless wars by glorifying war and death, but when the President wishes to address the students and tell them that the future of America rests on them taking their education seriously, we vilify him. Something is just wrong with this picture in my opinion.
In other news, as stated I leave for Madrid in exactly 7 days and I am getting really excited to meet new people, experience new things, see sights I can't even imagine, and just change things up a little bit. I do feel overall more prepared for Spain than I did Australia, which is a huge plus. I know myself better now and know what it is like to be away from home and such. Is it bad though that I am excited to meet the expats more than the Spaniards? When I was in Australia I hung out more with the Americans and other expats, rather than Australians, and I had a great time! It is probably just my anxiety about speaking spanish and understanding spanish that is making me apprehensive about Spaniards :/

No comments:

Post a Comment